FHA's advocacy priorities are driven by our vision of providing high-quality, affordable health care to the patients and communities we serve. Through effective member leadership and participation, FHA strives to promote public policy issues at the state and federal level to make positive changes in Florida's health care environment.
Florida hospitals stand ready to work with our lawmakers to find long-term solutions to increase access and quality, while reducing costs to our state's health care system.
The information presented highlights the major state policy and advocacy issues FHA will address during the 2018 Legislative Session. Download the 2018 FHA Advocacy Agenda.
Health Care Coverage
- Support proposals, federal or state, that would increase health care coverage for Florida's low-income, working individuals and families.
- Advocate for the FHA Medicaid Waiver Task Force recommendations, which include:
- Continuation of the 1115 Waiver;
- Maintaining an uncompensated care pool;
- Developing partnerships to address emergency department (ED) use and readmissions;
- Supporting the use of a new Medicaid Managed Care Pass Through payment option;
- Implementing a long-term strategy to address Florida's Medicaid Disproportionate Share (DSH) allotment.
- Support proposals to streamline administrative procedures in the Medicaid Managed Care program.
- Support proposals to increase access, efficiency, transparency and accountability in the Medicaid Managed Care Program.
- Maintain adequate Medicaid reimbursement rates for hospitals.
- Support the Statewide Medicaid Residency Program to the full cost of medical residency slots.
- Monitor the Medicaid outpatient reimbursement methodology transition to a prospective payment systems (EAPGs).
Quality and Patient Safety
- Support legislation, including alternative payment models, that aligns with and promotes high quality and safe patient care.
- Support legislation that would allow all health professionals to practice to the full extent of their education, training and certification.
- Support legislation that promotes the highest quality educational programs for our health professionals.
- Support enhanced criminal penalties for persons who commit violent crimes against all health care workers and providers.
- Support legislation that would prohibit the open-carry of firearms in hospitals.
- Support legislation that increases efficiencies in the delivery of care, including advancing the use of telehealth, telemedicine and telenursing technology.
Certificate of Need
- Oppose repeal of the Certificate of Need process.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Support mandatory Personal Injury Protection coverage for auto insurance by maintaining the current system or through a mandatory Medical Payment policy.
- Support initiatives to improve access to health care price and quality transparency information.
- Oppose legislation that would seek to address worker's compensation rate increases through reductions to provider payments.
- Support proposals to increase administrative efficiencies in the worker's compensation system that lower provider costs.
Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Oppose over-night stays in ambulatory surgical centers.
- Support Federal guidelines regarding compliance in Medicaid and Medicare programs.
Recovery Care Centers (RCCs)
- Oppose the establishment of RCCs.
Mental Health & Substance Abuse
- Support legislation to address service delivery gaps in mental health and substance abuse treatment.
- Monitor implementation of behavioral health reforms enacted during the 2016 session.
- Maintain safety and quality standards as key determinates for designating new trauma centers.